When all else fails .. reset!

I had some problems recently trying to get LogMeIn working in IE7. I had disabled the add-on some time back and I couldn’t get it to work again. It wasn’t appearing in Add-On manager, so I couldn’t enable it again, yet, when I hit the page, the website assumed I had the plugin so wouldn’t ask me to install it again. I tried figuring out how disabling works, but? I couldn’t find anything in the registry and nothing on disk. Admitedly, I didn’t look too hard; but it was getting really annoying!

Luckily I came across a KB article on MSDN which outlines a number of things you can try when things go wrong. There are a number of things I tried there, including trying to isolate the Add-In that was causing the problem, but there was nothing appearing in Add-In manager that seemed tied to LogMeIn. In the end, I went for the option to Reset IE7. This deletes all your settings,? clears your Add-Ins, your favourites, everything. It basically reverts IE7 to its factory settings. Here’s how to do it:

  1. Open Internet Explorer 7, click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
  2. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset.
  3. In the Internet Explorer Default Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  4. When the settings have been reset, click Close, and then click OK to restart Internet Explorer.

The verdict: It fixed my problem! The next time I hit LogMeIn, it installed the Add-In properly for me and everything works! Good tip to keep in mind.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.