I found an excellent post on LifeHacker talking about 10 great things that GMail does. This is putting aside the mundane email handling, massive storage space, spam filtering etc; but instead looks at features that makes GMail exception. Here’s a summary:
- Themes: You can completely change the way GMail looks using themes
- Chat: You can launch video and audio chat right from within your browser, no downloads required
- Backup your email: You can back up your email onto a different platform anytime you want. So you don’t have to feelÂ you depend on The Big G
- Audit: You can see all the locations you’ve signed in and out from
- Contacts: Contact management is a real breeze on Gmail and integrates nicely with other platforms too.
- Consolidation: GMail lets you consolidate different email accounts in one place
- URLs: As Gmail is web based you can bookmark locations and send them to your friends
- Keep email on your desktop: You can download gadgets and even an entire Google Desktop which integrates nicely with your email
- Search: Google is the master of search and whether you’re looking for milk churners or fat burners you’ll always be able to find them in your mailbox
- Experiment: Google Labs always has new exciting features in development, so if you’re so inclined, you may want to give them a whirl.
Head off and read the post.