Chrome: Google’s new browser. The only way you would not have heard about this is if you’re hiding under a rock as all the technology news sites are talking about it; certainly Techmeme has been flooded with information about it over the last couple of days. So .. here are some personal pointers about it:
- It’s as fast and lightweight as you could wish any browser to be.
- I love the start screen that shows you your top used websites. You don’t have to define them, it just figures it out from your browsing pattern.
- Well, it’s still in beta, so a number of things are lacking. It’s not terribly buggy, but don’t expect to use 100% of the websites you used to use before (example Facebook)
- I haven’t seen any specs for an extension framework. I won’t be switching away from Firefox till I have AdBlock and FireBug, just to mention my 2 favourite plugins.
- The security guys have already found some potential security holes.
- Does Google really think they own all the content you use your browser to submit. That’s a major faux pas.
The main thing you need to realise however is that this is just the first iteration of this software, so there’s bound to be bad and ugly bits floating around. Some initial skepticism has already been addressed, for example, Google does not directly monitor what sites you visit, but they still have a way to go yet.
What did you like and what did you hate?