I’ve just realised that we’re only a couple of weeks off from the tennis season. Yes, I’m talking of no other than Wimbledon, which runs from the 23rd of June till the 6th of July. I’m not usually much of a sports fan, preferring to sit at my computer rather than getting too physical, but I don’t mind watching a spot of tennis on TV. I do however have a friend who goes there every year and usually does his best to try and persuade me to join him. I must actually get round to it one day.
I’ve been doing some digging around to learn more about Wimbledon and I’ve found some interesting bits of trivia:
- Ball Girls were first? employed in 1977.
- Yellow balls were introduced in 1986.
- Last time, somebody played with wooden rackets in Wimbledon was in 1987.
- Goran Ivanisevic was? the first wild card entrant to win singles title? (2001).
- The first TV coverage of a Wimbledon match was in 1937.
Interesting couple of facts there. I wonder if Peter knows about them. Anyway, I’m sure he’s already got his Wimbledon debenture tickets and will be jetting off to watch the games soon. Maybe some dayI will actually join him. Maybe someday …